DC801 SAFEMODE Badge
Welcome 🐑 sheeple 🐑, to the DC28 DC801 SAFEMODE badge.
As you all know, every year, DC801 has built a STUNNING badge to fund our kick-ass DEFCON party and to fund our local non-profit hackerspace 801Labs. Since we’re not funding a party this year, all proceeds from the badge will either fund the DC29 Badge or be donated to the hackerspace. We really appreciate any help you have to offer, this badge keeps the hackerspace alive. As a side note, we have added the ability to make a donation to the hackerspace as part of your purchase; donations will go directly to upkeep, content development, and rent for the 801labs hackerspace.
Add a donation to 801Labs to your cart.
This year we're building a PROTOTYPE badge. What the sheep is a prototype badge? Well, it’s not your mom’s standard DEFCON badge, that’s for sure. The DC801 badge team has decided to go all out and spend two years building the badge. The DC28 badge is the result of our first year of work. We’ve been spending a lot of time building the hardware and the game engine. We really would like to build the game engine to be scriptable and able to be changed by YOU, the player.
This year, your badge will be shipped with fully functioning hardware, and an awesome demo of our game. This will not be the full game. We will be releasing game development updates monthly on our blog, until the game is complete. The game will be finished by DEFCON 29 2021, and will be easily user-flashable and playable!
The DC801 SAFEMODE badge brings you an expandable iteration of our robust platform. Yeah, you read that right. If you thought last year’s badge was cool, this one really whips the llama’s ass.
- Core CPU is the Nordic nRF52840 SoC, on the u-blox BMD-340 module
- 256k RAM, 1M internal flash, Arm Cortex-M4 with FPU @ 64Mhz
- Bluetooth 5 with Bluetooth mesh and Zigbee support
- Temperature sensor
- 27 buttons with NKRO via a dedicated Microchip ATiny1617 microcontroller, with UPDI programming support
- 19 LEDs
- SD card socket
- 32MB of quad-spi flash
- NAU8810 audio codec and speaker
- 2.4" 240x320 TFT LCD screen with touch panel
- LiPo battery with on-board charging
- USB-C interface supporting USB endpoints
- SAO 1.69bis and Saintcon MiniBadge expansion headers
- Support for the DC801 'ART Board' front board expansion
- JTAG via both standard ARM interface as well as Tag Connect
- Exciting new artwork and sandwich design
“ Badge is not to be ingested orally “
pro tip from hardware goddess @hamster
Other mages might wield the power of fire, ice, or lightning, but one has a very different power. With the magical artifact Ring Zero, our hero has the power to HACK THE FABRIC OF REALITY ITSELF.
Use the in-game hex editor to investigate and manipulate the game: the overworld, NPCs, enemies… and even yourself! Find secrets and overcome obstacles to become a hacking wizard!
This year's badge features:
- Hex editor for editing the RAM of the game you're playing
- Completely custom music
- Completely custom artwork
- Three playable dungeons and a gorgeous world map
- Tools for developing your own playable scenario included on the SD card
- Memes and magic and goats. Oh, my!
With three unique boss dungeons, seven areas, and numerous puzzles, challenges, and more.
These badges are not yet in hand! This is, in a way, a small kickstarter. Not in the way of stretch goals or needing to meet specific amounts. Instead, we are taking orders before we order the badges and assemble them. This means that your badge won’t be on it’s way as soon as you hit the order button.
We are planning on shipping these badges before or by the end of September.
We'll be shipping these to your front door so that you don't die of the COVID.
in no special order: